Marianske barracks

The two-story neoclassical building with two flanks was designed by J. Sandner. In 1874 it was renamed Marianske barracks after the nearby sculptural group of the Virgin Mary Budejovicke. The 91st Infantry Regiment was placed here, the poet Frana Sramek (1877-1952) served there and during the First World War also the writer J. Hasek, who placed a part of the story of his novel The Good Soldier Švejk here. There was a military prison and executions took place in the courtyard until the 1901. Later on, Vaclav Havel also served here. -Photo provided by the South Bohemian muzeum-



back Back to the list of pois